Have you ever handled a million Kenya shillings? Probably yes but you have not yet experienced it’s worth.
1. Since you started living in a rented house, how much have you paid to the Landlord or agents? Probably a million plus.
2. If you are a boda boda rider, since the first day you started carrying passengers if you have accumulated every penny it will probably be more than a million.
3. If you are employed, just count all the deductions made from your salary since you received your first salary, that is: Nssf, Nhif, Tax etc. They are more than you have ever imagined
4. Since the first time you bought a Safaricon or Airtel line, how much airtime, bundles have you spent? Just request for a Full statement from Safaricom you will be surprised.
5. For those who take alcohol, from your first beer to date if you count all of them you will be surprised.
Money does not solve all problems but it could solve your money problem. Just save the small you have, invest and make it multiply.
Make yourself rich by making your wants few. Even if you buy 10 pairs of shoes you can only wear one pair at a time. You do not need to park a range rover in a rented house as an employee or have a 60 inch TV screen in that cubical where you use about half of your salary to pay rent. The moment you lose the job you realize those expensive items were not worth having. Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like.
Time and Money are created. Many people take no care of their money till they come nearly to the end of it, and others do just the same with their time. That is why you will see most people in their mid 50s and 60s are trying so hard to get a piece of land to settle their family and yet they have been living extravagantly all through.
Budget your income well, pay your tithe faithfully, save and invest a better part of it and as I had shared before, have both short term and long term plans for your life. See your life in the next 10 years and start walking towards that vision. You can pursue a skill, start serious and disciplined saving or invest seriously and you will not be disappointed.
When you create the habit of saving and investing, just like the way rain rains on the ocean, you will attract more. Money is usually attracted, not pursued.
Your problem lies in reconciling your gross habits with your net income.
“Money, if it does not bring you happiness, will at least help you be miserable in comfort.” – Helen Gurley Brown