A POSITIVE SAFETY CULTURE
A positive safety culture is a shared set of values and practices that guide the behavior of all employees.
It is what the employees do and how they act even when nobody is watching.
CAUSES OF WORKPLACE ACCIDENTS
1. Unsafe Conditions – faulty equipment and dangerous environment
2. Unsafe Acts – actions, attitudes, habits and practices
90% of all workplace accidents are caused by unsafe acts.
Good leaders know that safety rules and equipment are critical to preventing on the job accidents, lost productivity and big loss to a company’s bottom line
HOW TO IMPROVE COMPANY’S SAFETY CULTURE
1. Ensure all top management are on board
2. Create a safety committee made up of employees from all departments and levels
3. Conduct a companywide assessment of your safety culture. This will help identify what is working, what training is needed and help the safety committee to determine the goals and monitor the company’s progress.
4. Training and awareness – Hold sessions with management and supervisors first then use team meetings and regular companywide communication and periodic updates to Train every employee to keep the momentum going. For Training, remember to not only conduct Health and Safety training but also team building and hazard identification and always encourage open communication throughout the process.
5. Incentivize – The safety committee should create a system of accountability and recognition.
Incentives for safe behavior can range from loud of applause in a company, gifts, awards, promotion etc
At the end of the day a positive safety culture is up to all of us and it benefits all of us.
An unsafe act is one man’s job that can put everybody into a disaster, a safe act is everyone’s business.
By: Amb Steve Mbugua – Ambassador of Safety and Wellness