Friends, I would like to share these Road Safety tips not only for this weekend and the festive season, but for every day and all hours of the day!
1. Make sure that your vehicle is in a roadworthy condition before departure.
2. Do not drink and drive. If you intend to consume alcohol make alternative arrangements so you will not be behind the wheel.
3. Remain alert at all times and avoid Driver Distractions such as cellular conversations, texting etc
4. Be responsible for seatbelt wearing – Always wear your seat belt and see that everyone in the car is wearing theirs.
5. Stay within the speed limit at all times.
6. Only overtake when it is absolutely safe to do so.
7. Maintain at least a 3-second following distance – this distance should be increased at night, in foggy or rainy conditions and when the road is wet.
8. Avoid driving on the blind spot of other vehicles.
9. Be courteous towards fellow road users – keep your temper and resist the temptation to retaliate.
10. Remain alert to any areas that might present a threat of criminal activity such as hijackings and smash-and-grab.
11. Be extra cautious, paying attention to the signals and brake lights of other vehicles, especially trucks.
12. Do not get stranded without fuel – Always plan ahead where you will refuel.
13. Expect others not to be as obedient to the law as yourself.
Be alert, awake and aware of all the movements around you.
14. Do not overload your vehicle.
15. Keep essential roadside equipment with you as many breakdowns are caused by relatively minor problems. Items include a first aid kit, tow rope, warning triangles, torch and fire extinguisher.
Be a responsible driver and mindful of other road users. Let your safety and that of others be your number one priority and do your best to ensure everyone arrives alive. #ARoadSafetyCulture #AmbSteveMbuguaRoadSafetyCampaign2019